Saturday, July 23, 2011

Trick or Treat... No Candy, Just Success

October 31st, 2011.... Most people recognize this date with the holiday Halloween. Cross Country runners, however, know this as championship season. Whether I am in high school or college, this weekend is something I have looked forward to since my sophomore year in high school. Right now it falls around the same time as Big XII Championships, while high schooler's have STATE. This weekend should be on your mind year round. Either your gearing up to be in tip-top shape, or your preparing, training, and setting goals for this weekend.

These championship caliber meets is what sports are all about. It is a showcase of the best talent, and the best teams around competing to be top dogs. If that doesn't get you excited, if you don't get chills thinking about "nerd-bombing", a phrase coined by Jason Collette referring to eating people up the last moments of the race, and if you don't have this weekend as a major part of your goals then your not wanting to be the best. I have learned that the best runners are the ones who are consistently thinking about how they are going to get better and beat their competition in the big meets. When every coach are trains you for your final meet, its important that you use each race, long run, interval as a stepping stone in preparation for you to be your best when it counts.

These summer months seem like an eternity to me. I live and die on the competition aspect of our sport. I can't say I absolutely love going out and running day in and day out, but I sure as hell love how running is the purest form of competition. Your going to be as good as you allow yourself to be. The only time I enjoy running is when I know that I am getting better each day, so when I have days off I feel like a lazy shit. I find it important that each day your doing something harder or better than anyone else is. Running is mental, so if you go out each day with the mindset, "I am going to get better today", then when race day comes around you will know your ready.

I think in order to be one of the best runners its all about planning to succeed. I have found I have my best seasons when I set high goals for myself, including times or places that may seem a bit out of reach. But these goals give me something I know I have to work hard for each day.  By setting goals primarily for the big meets I allow myself time to understand my racing techniques, and to come to terms with my capabilities. No one cares about small meets. No one cares if you got 1st or 48th in the first meet of the season. Everything comes down to whether or not your ready to compete when everything is on the line. Keep that in mind these summer months as school is on its way and cross country comes rolling in! What kind of goals are you striving for this season? What are you doing now to be ready this fall?

Kyle

0 comments:

Post a Comment